Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Where is Iran?



This video brought tears to my eyes. For a while now, I've been obsessed with Iran. Persian culture, language, food, and people have all left a marked impression on me and I vowed that somehow I would visit this country and see for myself how beautiful it was (however hard that may be with the relationship between the US and Iran on the sour side). Despite their lackluster government, the people of Iran are resilient, headstrong, and proud. They value their culture and they fight hard to keep it alive through the restrictions placed on them by a government that tries to repress old traditions. They voice their opinions and express themselves even when it might get them jailed or killed. 





This is why I am saddened by current events in Iran. Ahmadinejad's re-election has sent the country into a frenzy with protests on every street corner and inhumane police brutality rampant on the streets of Tehran not seen since the Revolution of 1979. This leaves me questioning: "Where will Iran go with this? Will this turn into another revolution?" If the answer is yes, I pray that this revolution brings about positive and not negative change. And even if it isn't a revolution, I pray that the outcome is a positive one.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...